The total right hand drive conversion processes involve many major changes; it is not just a matter of swapping a steering wheel over.
Our right hand drive conversion processes begin with the removal of the vehicles interior along with the front end sheet metal, radiator, headlamps, grille and bumper. As each part is removed it is safely stored in a protective, purposely designed storage system.
Once the vehicle has been prepared our qualified technicians then install a variety of specially designed Jigs to ensure both a professional finish and ISO accredited uniformity of production.
While these Jigs do vary from model to model they all serve the same purpose of aligning key components such as steering, firewall, dashboard frame and air conditioning to name a few.
We take great care in our Right Hand Drive Conversion design process to ensure that the serviceability of our completed vehicles either matches or improves on the factory units where possible.
Our dashboards housings are completely new, we do not “cut and shut” the old plastic dashboard. “Cutting and Shutting” involves cutting an original left hand drive dash into sections then plastic welding and gluing it back together. Such a product often does not fair well over time on our harsh Australian roads.
Our one piece right hand drive dash housing provides excellent rigidity and a factory type finish while retaining driver ergonomics with the steering wheel centralized to the drivers position.
Our conversion teams consist of specialists in welding, fibreglass, sheet metal, auto electrical, motor mechanics and pattern making.
WHAT TO EXPECT FROM A CONVERSION
First and Foremost, you should expect the company selling or converting the vehicle is a RAWS (Registered Automotive Workshop) and that they hold current compliance.
The following are just a few of the many items installed by American Vehicle Sales that meet or exceed Australian Design Rules. These items may vary from model to model.
- Australian compliant headlight system
- New Dashboard (manufactured in house). We do not re use and/or use the old dash.
- New right hand drive power steering is installed using General Motors steering arms for ease of service life.
- Full windscreen wiper conversion to allow the wipers to sweep to the right hand side.
- Australian Design Rule Compliant safety belts (front and rear) and Australian compliant child seat anchorages where applicable
- New windscreen in compliance with Australian Standards.
- Re-manufactured air conditioning system.
- Australian Standards immobilization system fitted.
- Original firewall insulation is re installed for a quieter ride.
- New side indicators fitted.
- New tyres fitted in accordance with manufacturer specification
- Metrication of all functions such as Temperature gauge, oil pressure and Speedometer
- Exterior mirrors are re aligned to compensate for the driver who now sits on the right hand side
- Window switch controls converted to allow original functionality for the driver
- Centre console lids are converted to allow easy access by the driver where possible
- Plus a range of minor new components and purpose designed components are installed
COMPUTER AIDED DESIGN
American Vehicle Sales utilize many forms of modern technology including 3D digital scanning, computer aided design (CAD) and subsequent computer aided production of parts. Our sophisticated design and production process ensures a factory finish product designed to last the distance.