The total right hand drive conversion processes involves many major changes. It’s not just a matter of swapping a steering wheel over.
Our right hand drive processes begins with the removal of the vehicles interior along with the front end sheet metal, radiator, headlamps, grille and bumper. As each part is removed it is safely stored in a protective, purposely designed storage system.
Once the vehicle has been prepared, our qualified staff then install a variety of specially designed jigs to validate the original vehicle. This ensures each vehicle is consistent. Consistency is key to ensure both a professional finish and ISO accredited uniformity of production.
A series of production jigs are then used during the process.
While these Jigs do vary from model to model they all serve the same purpose of aligning key components such as steering, firewall, dashboard frame and air conditioning to name a few.
We take great care in our Right Hand Drive Conversion design process to ensure that the serviceability of our completed vehicles either matches or improves on the factory units where possible.
Our dashboards housings are completely new, we do not “cut and shut” the old plastic dashboard. “Cutting and Shutting” involves cutting an original left hand drive dash into sections then plastic welding and gluing it back together. Such a product often does not fair well over time on our harsh Australian roads.
Our one piece right hand drive dash housing provides excellent rigidity and a factory type finish while retaining driver ergonomics with the steering wheel centralized to the drivers position.
Our conversion teams consist of specialists in welding, fibreglass, sheet metal, auto electrical, motor mechanics and pattern making.
WHAT TO EXPECT FROM A CONVERSION
First and Foremost, you should expect the company selling or converting the vehicle is approved by the Federal Government. They need to be able to show that they hold current compliance.
The following are just a few of the many items installed by American Vehicle Sales that meet or exceed Australian Design Rules. These items may vary from model to model.
- Australian compliant headlight system
- New Dashboard one piece. We do not re use and/or use the old dash.
- New right hand drive power steering system is installed using tested components.
- Full windscreen wiper conversion to allow the wipers to sweep to the right hand side.
- Australian Design Rule Compliant safety belts (front and rear) and Australian compliant child seat anchorages where applicable
- RHD air conditioning system.
- Original firewall insulation is re installed for a quieter ride.
- New side indicators fitted.
- New tyres fitted in accordance with manufacturer spec
- Metric of all function such as Temp gauge, oil pressure and Speedo
- Exterior mirrors are re aligned to compensate for the driver who now sits on the right hand side
- Window switch controls converted to allow original functionality for the driver
- Centre console lids are converted to allow easy access by the driver where possible
- Plus a range of minor new parts and purpose designed items are installed
COMPUTER AIDED DESIGN
American Vehicle Sales utilize many forms of modern technology in the process. Including 3D digital scanning, computer aided design (CAD) and subsequent computer aided production of parts. Our design and production process ensures a factory finish product designed to last the distance.